Sunday, January 19, 2014

Christmas and Wintertime

In only two days I leave for Ixtlan Mexico.  I will try to blog during my time there, but before I start that adventure, I'd like to give a little update on the holidays...

This Christmas was one of my favorite Christmas's.  No, I didn't go to California and no we didn't go to a hotel with the Lehman family.  On Christmas day we went to church and celebrated in the evening as an incomplete family.  So why was it so special?

Ever since I was born, Christ has been the center of Christmas in my home.  But I can't say that was always true in my heart.  When I gave my life to Christ, I'd love to say that everything clicked and my motives were always right and everything was different.  However giving my life to Christ has not been a one time deal and I think that goes for everybody.  We have to fight our human nature daily, hourly, even by the minute!  All that to say that even while I loved God and was thankful for the gift of His Son, it never 'clicked' with me like it did this Christmas the intensity of His love.

The Sunday before Christmas, the sermon really spoke to me.  Instead of just thinking about the manger scene, which is wonderful!, the angels coming to the shepherds, which is wonderful!, and the wise men bringing gifts, which is also wonderful!, we were challenged to think about what Christmas was in heaven.  What were God's final words to the Son as He said goodbye?  What was Christ thinking as He took His final breath in pure holiness and 'became flesh and dwelt among us'?  I usually thought of Easter as the serious time when God and Son were separated spiritually for the first time in eternity.  And that is more serious but it's pretty sobering to think of what happened when Jesus left the throne to come to the earth, a physical separation from the Father.  For a few moments just close your eyes and picture that.  It's beautiful.  It's pure love.

That wasn't meant to be a sermon...just a little explanation of why this Christmas was such a blessing.  Don't you love those times when your eyes are opened a little wider and your understanding of who God is grows a little deeper, yet you know there's still much more depth?! 

Now a few pictures of the festivities at the Lehman house on Christmas day...

Mom and I played some carols together on the harp and violin.  Edie (in her tutu!) started plucking around on the harp.




Some game playing in the other side of the room.

Missing Mia and Jim :(
 






So now the holidays are over, and so are my art classes and Foods 1 classes.  It's been great to have those opportunities, but it's also time to move on.  I can't say that I fully understand what that means right now!  Sometimes it's hard to not have a good idea of what I'll be doing after this coming summer, but deep down inside it's freeing to know that as long as I follow God, everything will work out!  For now, I will follow His leading to Mexico for a few months and just write one page at a time.  I hope that you too can find peace in following Him, even when the way may not be clear!  He knows His plans for us all! (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment