Thursday, October 16, 2014

In Our Backyard...

...The birds of paradise are blooming. Such a unique flower!

...The one orange growing on the dwarf orange tree is nice and big and...green.


...There's this old wooden gate hanging in an alley of ivy.  It's always been one of my favorite things about this house.  Just thought I'd share it with you.

...And last, but not least, there's a national monument in our backyard.

Okay, not exactly in the backyard.  But close.

As of October 10th, the San Gabriel Mountains have been named a national monument by our very President Obama.  He was in Cali last week at a town somewhere nearby for the ceremony of designation.  There are obviously differing opinions as to whether this is 'good' or 'bad'.  Since LA doesn't have much open space and few parks, this will raise awareness of the space in these hills and some people think it will keep these mountains protected.  Other people are worried that the government will get too involved and close trails or overregulate.  And those are just a few examples of the issues that have arisen from this.

I think it's cool to have a national monument in my backyard.  That hasn't happened anywhere else I've lived (who makes a national monument of a cornfield?) I've watch the sun set on those mountains during supper, the canyon is no stranger.  I feel a sort of connection to those hills.  Yet I can understand the concern that it's one more thing the government has a hand in.  It's nothing I've set my mind to worrying about as time will tell if this was 'good' or 'bad'.  Meanwhile, I'll just keep enjoying those mountains and remember it's the Creator owns them.


1 comment:

  1. How it warms my heart that my mountains have become your mountains and you have come to know the canyon as I did growing up. I dreamed dreams, hiked trails and the stream, prayed, praised, planned, and shared that dear place with family and friends...so thankful you are enjoying that gift God created! Looking forward to hiking together in three weeks! And I AM going to buy you some pepper spray to keep the bears away!! (also other strange creatures you may meet) I love you, Joey! Mom

    ReplyDelete