Thursday, May 14, 2015

Just Horsin' Around

For the first time in a very long time, when people ask what I am doing, I feel like I have a decent reply: I'm working at Camp Tecumseh.  Don't get me wrong, living in California and nannying Calvin were good ways to spend my days.  It's just that whether or not you realize it, there's this expectation out there that we need to have a good answer that the world can understand.  I've struggled with this since I quit college two and a half years ago and quite honestly I don't know when I'll finally feel like I have a good reply.  Maybe when I'm a multimillionaire with three houses and a  boat.  Then people will see I've done something worthwhile.

Just kidding.  I hope I never have three houses and a boat.   Or three houses.  Or a boat.  Unless it's a canoe or kayak. 

Lately I've come to better grips with that feeling of 'I'm not going to give them the reply they're looking for' so it's more a thing of the past.  But then there are days like today when I get off work early and have a free afternoon that I remember most nineteen-year-olds out there have real jobs or go to college.  Good for them.  Someday that might be me.  For now, I'm going to make the most of these days and cherish each and every one of them like dark chocolate 'cause oooohhh, that's my favorite! 

It is a true story that I'm working at Camp Tecumseh.  Although when you have a lot of fun at your job is that considered work???  I quite literally spend my days horsing around. 

At the start it wasn't the most, eh, thrilling job out there.  My first day was spent in a tack room polishing the leather on 32 saddles!  Thankfully some of them were mostly synthetic so I didn't have much polishing to do on those but it was still veeeerrrryyyy monotonous.  The next day I polished more leather.  Then one day I scrubbed dirty, hairy horse blankets and another day I raked sticks from around the arena.  Okay, you get the picture.  There are certain jobs that take some imagination to fit in the fun department. 

But then there are those jobs that really are just plain enjoyable.  I get to chase around horses (in the mud!) and wave my arms like a maniac then follow them in the barn and pet their silky faces.  Sometimes when we're not watching them close enough they partner up and let each other out of their stalls which makes for an interesting welcome when I walk in the barn.  Oh, just a horse wandering around like no big deal.  In addition to time in the barn I've gotten acquainted with the animals at the mini farm which includes: a sheep, a goat, an alpaca, a donkey, a calf, rabbits, a duck, and chickens.  And today I got to dirty up my hands while we planted the garden.

See, isn't that exciting???  I happen to enjoy {most} of it.

Now, before I make it sound like I work my tail off (yah, like you were thinking that), let me assure you that it's been a very relaxed schedule which I'm enjoying, like chocolate, remember?  My boss has children that she likes to welcome home from school so the latest I've worked til is four and there have been a number of days, like today, that she has an appointment or errand to run so I just work half  a day.  This week I've been cleaning FBi for a few hours each evening so that helps me feel a little more...responsible.  Then there are days that I sacrifice self and pocket book to go to Michigan to babysit my nephew--like next Wednesday!  I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on that little stinker!

I know it's just a phase and before I blink I just want to breathe it in and savor it like you know what.  And someday, someday when life is crazy busy and I wonder what really matters anyway I'll wish I could just go horse around.


Have a good weekend, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment