Monday, November 25, 2013

Autumn

I decided that before the holiday posts come up, I better capture the past two months in a nutshell.

My schedule is a bit unique since I have no two days in a week that are the same.  I teach Foods 1 two days a week at Cornerstone, 3 different classes of art one day at my home, do an hour or two of office cleaning/ invoicing for a local company, work at a bakery/deli two days a week, and try to fit in piano practice and lessons.  Plus other random things that fill the schedule. Really I can't complain because compared to other kids my age who have college and part time jobs I have a lot of spare time.  Anyway, while these past few months haven't been perfect, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I've learned ALOT!

 The Foods 1 girls doing a cookie lab.

They really don't like washing dishes as much as this picture shows.

Now for random highlights....

There was an exciting project in September. I repainted my bedroom and helped Dad put in a new laminate wood floor!!! That green carpet was stained and not the most desirous of colors :)

BEFORE


DURING


AFTER
I should probably get a better picture with my bed made :)

The color didn't quite turn out like I expected but it will work. I have very little furniture/wall décor but for now it will work too.  It's already much better than before!


I've been taking a lot of pictures of the sky this year. The sunrises and sunsets have been BEAUTIFUL! God is amazing.


We eventually closed the pool. But first Danny and his friend ?enjoyed? a swim.
Yes the water was that green. My dad seriously does a great job taking care of the pool, but for some reason this summer we didn't swim much toward the end and so it turned this bright color. Never have seen it like that before!!!


A definite highlight of fall is the amazing horse riding weather! Kim and I took our cousin on a 18th birthday surprise trip. She loves camping and riding horses so we took her to a nearby state park. That could be a post in itself...I always have fun with Leah.

 In October we enjoyed the Buddy Walk. My amazing uncle/aunt/cousins put a lot of energy into raising over $20,000 for Down Syndrome Indiana. The goal was 16K for Isaac's 16th birthday and the 16th annual Buddy Walk.  That also could be a post in itself.

Edie, Kim, Leah, Mary Lydia, and I took a trip to Michigan to visit Maria. We visited an orchard, talked, ate, carved pumpkins, and had a lot of fun.

I don't have any pictures of the Feast of the Hunter's moon but I dressed up for my last time this year.
 
Then in the end of October, Dad had an 'improper dismount' from a bucking horse and broke his ankle. Or shattered it. A friend helped me make this sign and we had it ready for when he got home from the hospital.  Also my sister sent him a sign that says "When you're young and fall of a horse, you may break something. When you're my age, you splatter." He is still on crutches but I can't say it's slowed him down too much.  There have been more game nights since which is good.

In October I got my 18th birthday present. A camera! It is an entry-level DSLR so it's not professional but a significant step up from my other camera. I still have a lot to learn; however, I have been having fun taking a lot of pictures!  It helped me appreciate autumn.  Early in the fall I was almost angry at the leaves for turning.  For me, the farewell to summer is almost worst than winter! But since I got a camera I wanted to practice and found leaves to be a fun subject.  And then I found myself appreciating autumn more.




I love taking pictures of Edie when she gives me the chance which isn't very often
:)


The dog, however, will pose. 



And now it's on to the busy holiday season! It can sometimes be a challenge to not get caught up in the festivities of the season and forget the meaning.  While it's great to have an abundant Thanksgiving dinner or a pile of gifts in the living room, there are many hungry families and empty trees.  This year I hope to do a better job of remembering those people in prayer as I am showered with blessings.

So until next time, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we have GOT to ride horses again!!! :) That was so fun! Although the thought also brings a little pain to my mind...no idea why ;)

    ReplyDelete