Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Mexico: Goodbye

Today I go home.  There's some real mixed emotions going on right now...

There were times when I probably would've just hopped on the next plane to the US and left the hard times behind.  But God is reminding me of His faithfulness and I can have a deeper appreciation for how much this experience has grown me.  Even though my trip is over, I have been given much to think about in the coming weeks, months, even years.

In this past week the Lord has been working in my heart.  I didn't want to leave with an attitude of 'just get me outta here!' because then I'd be running away from the problem instead of facing it.  Also, since the problem was mostly me, I'd be running away from myself and that wouldn't work out too well.  Within this past week, I've felt more peace with myself and the Lord about the future.

These past few days have been kinda bittersweet as final goodbyes have been said.  There have been too many to list them all, but here are a few examples.  While I won't miss sitting in the classrooms, I will definitely miss the kids.  While I won't miss the language barrier at church functions, I will definitely miss the church family here.  In addition to the people, I will miss the mountains, the yummy street food, and 'Mexican life', like four people zooming down the road on a moped.

There are still some goodbyes hanging over my head that I'm not looking forward to.  I've said farewell to Marshall but I have yet to say goodbye to Jan.  They have taken such good care of me!  Grant, Hannah, and Ivory will be taking me to the airport this morning and saying goodbye to a couple that has so patiently listened to me work through my struggles and gone out of their way for my benefit will not be easy.  Saying goodbye to Ivory who has been my 'little comfort' will also be hard.  I'm really really going to miss them!

So Mexico, goodbye.  Only the Lord knows when I'll see you again.  Friends and family in the Midwest, hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment