Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mexico: The Prettiest Sunsets

Sunsets in Mexico are so beautiful.  Evening after evening, the sun sinks into the west and the clouds glow vividly in the sky.  I've recognized and enjoyed the beauty, but recently I read a quote in a book that took the beauty to another level.



"'The skies with the most clouds make the prettiest sunsets.'"

My time in Mexico has definitely brought some 'clouds'.  There have been things that have shadowed the light of the sun, making life unclear.  I've questioned God's faithfulness, wondered if I'd ever again find the joy in life that used to be so abundant.

In the moment, I couldn't understand.  What was God's purpose in all this? Were my struggles something I could have avoided by different actions earlier on or were they something the Lord knew I needed to go through to grow?  Was I seriously that immature in my walk with God?  Does the future hold anything but struggles?  Sometimes I still don't understand.  There are still fears, anxiety, and questions.  There are still some clouds in the sky.  But I am beginning to have more faith and confidence in God's good plan for my life.

In His word, God has given many promises. In Romans 8:28 we're reminded: "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God..."  These promises give us hope that the sun will shine through the clouds and illuminate them with purpose.  While we wait, that hope can comfort our hearts and be a flame in the dark.

Looking back, there were some pretty dark days.  But the sun was still there.  Looking ahead, I believe there will be more cloudy days in my life.  The sun is already there.  The Son does not leave, and the Light of the World does not cease to shine.  When the clouds come--and they will!--we have the choice to sit in darkness and wonder why.  But thanks be to God, we also have the choice to hold on to hope and believe in faith that the sun is shining, and in His time, the gloom will be transformed into a breathtaking masterpiece.   The Light, who gives all answers, will send a glow on each trial, giving evidence of God's faithfulness.  The more evidence we behold, the more beautiful the sunset.



I'm not sure if that made sense to anybody.  Somebody more gifted with words would be able to more profoundly and eloquently get the point across.  But hopefully you can see the beauty in the analogy.

Have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. You are totally making sense - and very eloquently too. :) Such a good analogy - thanks for reminding ME. love you!

    ReplyDelete