Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mexico: Another Weekly Update

I've been meaning to blog for a few days about our trip to Lake Camecuaro on Monday but have been waiting to get a few more pictures from another camera.  However, my computer keeps telling me it's low on disk space so I have to go and find things I can delete before I can get more pictures.  Long story short, I decided I might as well give an update on the rest of this week and do a Lake Camecuaro post shortly.

Last Saturday Hannah's cousins Laura and Micah arrived from Illinois.  Since Marshall and Jan had Loren and Betsy and an eye doctor and his wife from Zamora for lunch, I ate at Herrmanns and spent most of the afternoon there.  We had Jovenes in the evening.  The group was small but it was still a nice evening.

On Sunday church was a little bit small, but again, it was a nice day.  It was the fairly typical Sunday afternoon.  Oh, except we got to have strawberry pie for dessert!!  Betsy enjoys baking so we've had some tasty desserts this week.

In the evening we had singing and some volleyball afterwards.


Monday was the trip to Zamora and Lake Camecuaro that I hope to blog about soon.  One thing about the day I can include is that it was my last trip to Zamora.  I've only been three times, but it was still kind of weird to have a 'last' of something.

I went back to classes in the school on Tuesday where I had to explain to the children why I wasn't in class the day before ;).  Tuesday evening was women's Bible study and afterwards the ladies threw me a birthday party.  I was slightly confused when after the study people started telling me happy birthday.  And when I told them my birthday wasn't until May 26th, some of them already knew.  They just wanted to celebrate it while I was still in Mexico.  It was very kind of them to bless me with a 'farewell birthday party' that included delicious food and a game of Blitz with some of the younger ladies who stayed longer.


It was back to the classroom again on Wednesday.  I have a written list, for the sake of keeping peace, of who I'm supposed to sit by in the second grade.  Yesterday I completed that list and now I'm trying to figure out what I should do on Monday.  It's amazing at what a young age drama begins in a class full of girls!  I really enjoy them though and would consider them one of my favorite classes to attend.  Right now they're in to getting signatures.  I think it's because the English teacher always scribbles her signature on the work they've completed.  The only signatures I recognize are my own and the teacher's. :D

In the afternoon I went with the Herrmanns and Zehrs to El Kuri, the seafood restaurant I talked about in a previous post.

After a delicious lunch we started preparing the office to be painted.  By the evening we got a coat of sealer and part of the first coat of paint on the office walls.

Something different and exciting that happened yesterday was that the water turned off in the late morning like normal but never came back on at 4.  This meant that all the water we had was in the tenaco, aka the water storage tank on the roof.  We could still use it sparingly, but didn't have enough to run a full load of dirty clothes in the washer.

Today Jan checked all morning if we were getting water but still no more water!  Soon there was a line of laundry baskets waiting for the washer.  Finally at four the water came back on and my laundry was washed and I got it hung out just in time for church.

That story could have been more exciting, I know.  But during the unknown it was kind of intense.  Jan has told me stories of when they've gone with no water for days and I'm glad we didn't have to wash dishes in a bucket and so forth.  However, it was a good experience to have while I'm down here since that is part of life in Ixtlan.

Working backwards a little bit, this morning a girl from church who didn't have school today came over to make cookies.  We only made one batch which didn't take long so afterwards we went to the plaza for some food and then did a few odd jobs.  She's thirteen and was a fun girl to spend the morning with.

Tonight was church, which was another 'last' for me.  This coming week will only bring more and more of those.  It's hard to believe this trip is coming to a close!  Hopefully I'll do a better job of blogging this upcoming week.

God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment