Friday, March 21, 2014

Mexico: New "Schedule"

In the last post (over a week ago!) I mentioned that I would probably have a new "schedule".  Turns out that this week has brought a little more variety.

On Friday evening I invited some girls over to make cookies down at the guesthouse.  Only two came but we still had a good time. It was fun to bake again :)

Sunday was church and singing in the evening.  After singing we played volleyball until it was almost dark.  Then two of the girls invited Grant, Hannah, and I for some tacos.  We didn't go to Mario's but I will have to say that these tacos were pretty top-notch.

Me, Maggie, Gloria.

The Herrmanns

The taco stand...sorry it's hard to really see what's going on with it being dark and all.
After tacos we went back to Grant and Hannah's and played a game of Settlers in Spanish.

Tuesday was a holiday for Mexico.  It kind of struck me funny because they were celebrating the day that Mexico expropriated the oil companies from the US.  That's an exciting event but I found it interesting that people take off from work and schools are closed.  It also struck me funny that they celebrated the holiday  on Monday.  So on Monday, Hannah had some ladies over to make cinnamon rolls.  I was really excited because my mother was never into yeast breads (which she makes up for in many areas) but I've taken an interest in them.

You're probably thinking, um, didn't you say you were making cinnamon rolls?  And yes, we were waiting for the bread to rise and you know that part in the recipe that says, 'Let bread rise while you play Settlers'?  Okay, so it's not written in there but it's implied.

Gloria and Elsa rolling out the dough.

Just need to rise and be baked.  Mmmmm.

So that made for a fun Monday morning/afternoon.  Tuesday I skipped classes and went to the house of a family from church.  They own a store in the front of their house and there are two little boys that are very close in age. Like almost one and almost two.  Needless to say, this mother is super-woman and deserves a little break!  The boys and I went on a walk during which one of the boys fell asleep in the stroller and stayed asleep when we got back home.  The youngest is a very content little guy so we sat in the dining room area and talked while we played with him or he played with himself.  When he went down for a nap I went home since both boys were sleeping.  It was good to have some variety and get a glimpse of daily life in that home.

On Wednesday I went to classes at the school.  Then in the evening I watched Matt and Ruth's kids while they went to Zamora.  We painted some pictures then went on a walk.  Caleb wanted to go down the stairs that I have pictured in a previous post and I was glad to finally see them from the top.  The view was pretty...

We walked to the plaza and got some roasted garbanzo beans.

Thursday I got to spend the morning with Caleb and Abby while Ruth got ready for their trip to Tecate.  We drew pictures outside with sidewalk chalk, went on a pretend trip to Australia where I saw coyotes and got to ride in a jeep, did some preschool, read a few books, and put together a few puzzles.  In the evening there was church and after that some tacos with a game of Settlers (that seems to be a theme in this post).

Today I went to classes at the school although the first grade went to the plaza for an activity so I didn't have class with them.  Also, usually on Fridays there is no fifth grade English class since the day ends at one o'clock instead of two.  But today I think things were different because the kids didn't get out til two.  So I'm not sure if fifth grade had English class or not.

This afternoon Marshall is picking up Loren and Betsy Schrenk (hope I spelled that correctly) from the airport.  Most of you probably already know that Loren is an optometrist and in the past has come down and done eye clinics.  He is no longer doing operations but will be having a clinic on Monday and maybe some other days.

Hopefully that gives you a good glimpse into the past week.  I'll try to do a better job blogging this coming week.

Have a blessed weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun week! Lots of variety and good tacos! I had Kimberly set the table for 9 tonight since J & M came. When we sat down someone said, "we have an extra place." That was yours. Sigh...missing you and looking forward to having you at our table again! (no, I'm not losing my mind. Just wanting to complete the family!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I won't blame you for losing your mind on that one.

      Delete
  2. It was not the same without you! Hope you had fun with Gloria and Maggie! Did you get a change to play dutch blitz? Gloria has made me bleed on several occasions playing that game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have played Dutch Blitz several times but have not played with Gloria. Sounds like I'm missing out! ;D

      Delete