Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Daily Life

In the last post I mentioned a part of my daily life, morning walks, but some of you are probably wondering what else I do in California.

Of course the week I decide to give you our general weekly schedule it's been altered a bit :)  Oh well, I'll try to make things as clear as possible.  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Grammy goes to the YMCA in La Canada for water exercises.  I take a book along and either sit outside in the shade of an umbrella or when the weather is like it's been this past week I sit in the main entrance and relax in the air conditioning.  For those of you who know me well and know that reading has never been a favored past time I have shocking news for you.  I like to read.  And if I have Pride and Prejudice in my hands I love to read.  I enjoy that book so much that I'm actually reading it for the second time right now and listening to the sound track as a write.  I'm trying to discipline myself to save it only for times when I don't have anything better to do and so this time around I'm not as completely absorbed by it as I was last week.

Back to the schedule...Wednesday evenings we do dinner with Tom and Jody and beginning this Wednesday evening Bible study is starting up after a little summer break.  With how far some people live from church and having families with young kids it was decided to have regional Bible study groups for Wednesday evening instead of Wednesday night church.  We have a decent sized group here in the Altadena area and meet at Jonathan and Kali's.

Thursday evenings is Family Dinner at Tom and Heidi's.  It's such a relaxing or fun evening, relaxing when the kids don't come, fun when they do.  Either way, it's a very enjoyable time.  Delicious food, soap box--or in this case pool-towel box--performances, kids in pirate outfits and princess gowns, sometimes a swim before supper, Scrabble, family, and memories, make Family Dinner something to look forward to.

Sunday is church and then Joe and Sue usually come to Grammy's and we go out for dinner somewhere delicious.  Like I said, this week has held lots of exceptions.  Sunday during lunch Sue asked me, "Would you like to go to the beach today after church?"  I gladly accepted the invitation so we spent the afternoon at Hermosa and finished with dinner at Scotty's.

As far as daily activities goes, we go to the Y on MWF.  Spare time is used painting Mom's Christmas gift which she's already seen a picture of.  No surprises there.  I also enjoy pounding out rags, thanks to Grammy's patience, or trilling out Sonatinas on the upright in the living room.  Recently I've started watching horse safety videos from a website that does certifications and taking notes to use for the future.  If I can't ride em I can still learn about em right?  ;)  Grammy and I have played a few games of Scrabble and along with reading, going here and there, and keeping in touch with people at home, you have a pretty good glimpse into my days these past few weeks.

So now that you know our 'normal' schedule I'll fill you in on a few extra things that took place this past week.  Monday evening Aunt Jody joined us for dinner since Uncle Tom was gone.  Tuesday there was a birthday party for a 97-year-old woman at the Y!  We went at regular time and I read like normal while Grammy did exercises.  Then after the class we went to the room where one of the fellow exercisers had set up a full-blown party for Frances.  From the Y we went to Dave and Janelle's for the afternoon and evening. This morning when I got up it was too late to start my morning walk.  I'll now confess that I haven't walked to the canyon for three days now.  Yikes!  It's been so incredibly hot here.  Today it's down to the 90s but it's been well over 100 these past few days.  Almost suffocating-ly hot.  The car thermometer read 113 on the way home from church Sunday, most likely cause it was sitting in the sun with no air flow.  But still.  That's hot.  With the help of the beach, ice cream, and air conditioning we're surviving :)

Today we didn't go to exercises since we went yesterday so I went to get a few treats to take home to my family.  Tomorrow I'm planning on starting a small sewing project that I can easily finish before our trip Tuesday.  Grammy goes to Rockville for two weeks so I'm going home to visit Calvin and everybody else ;) I'm looking forward to cuddling my nephew, attending the Central Illinois Singing, baking fallish treats, hanging out with my siblings, riding horses, going to the Feast of the Hunter's Moon, and spending some time with the Sauders.

Hopefully this gives those of you who were wondering a better idea of what I'm up to.  Hope all of you are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment