Monday, September 29, 2014

Memories from Michigan

Tuesday I arrived in Chicago and mom picked me up at the airport; Grammy and Aunt Sue continued on to Connecticut.  Mom made her scrumptious Taco Tuesday meal which is a favorite amongst us Lehmans and we enjoyed an early dinner before Dad, Mom, Edie and I saddled up for a ride.

Wednesday morning I basically transferred some clothes from my Cali suitcase to a Michigan suitcase and hit the road to visit my nephew!  And Jim and Maria.  Really, it was great to see them too!

Calvin was everything the pictures have shown and more.  It was amazing how much he changed since I saw him last, which was when he was brand new.  Yes, I've seen pictures and face timed, but it's just not the same.  He is such a snuggler and loves to be held so we spent hours and hours cuddling together.  The moments were priceless.  Ugh.  It's hard to write this now that we're so may miles apart.

Yay!  In my arms at last!

Thursday morning I was holding him and taking pictures when all of the sudden he got this huge smile on his face.  A little bit later a funny sound came from his diaper.  Does he know how silly he is?

The plan had originally been that I would watch him on Thursday while Jim had class or work and Maria had clinical but Jim's thing got cancelled so Mia ended up switching her clinical to a different day and Thursday we went to Art Prize in Grand Rapids.  I had heard alot about Art Prize but never seen it before so although I didn't get Calvin completely to myself, it was still fun to walk around Grand Rapids and see sculptures, paintings, murals, and anything artistic that have been brought from all around the world.  Calvin was such a bud and slept in the carrier almost the whole time.  I had to share him with Jim because he needs time with his son, too, but I made sure I got to hold him part of the time :)

Thursday morning cuddles before we left.


Mia and her baby.  I love them both so much!

One of the more traditional art displays.

A more random piece of art.

Calvin still hanging in there like a champ!

What a great day :)  I think it wore Calvin out although he slept most of the time. He's got the sleepy eye roll going on.

But then he woke up and made biiiiiiiig eyes.  Back seat entertainment :D

Friday Jim went to work while Mia and I enjoyed time with Calvin.  He didn't seem too happy to be in a wet towel after his bath.


'Aunt Jo!!! Can't you see I'm cold?'  Poor guy.

Thatta boy.  Everything will be okay.

 After Calvin's bath we made these pumpkin melt-in-your mouth cookies my cousin had pinned on Pinterest.  They literally melt in your mouth.  But before we could frost them, Jim came home and was anxious to get to the park like we'd planned the day before so we found a stopping point and went to the park.  It was so gorgeous.  It was a fall outing like I'd been dreaming of having while in the Midwest.  Except better.  We walked down by a lake and took a little path to a bridge over the Flat River.  The trees reflecting in the water, Calvin snuggled up to me, being with my sister and her husband, going barefoot on soft grass and damp dirt and leaves, enjoying the crisp fall air--it was such a wonderful time together in nature.

Calvin all comfy in his carrier!
Photo stop!

Once we got back from the park it was time to frost the cookies.  If you like pumpkin and are not trying to diet, you need these cookies in your life.  With or without frosting they are the taste of fall and the only bad thing about them is that you can eat two or three before you realize it!  Here's the link to the website: pumpkin cookies.

I just couldn't get enough pictures!  His belly made me laugh it as it is so big but the rest of him is just wrinkly skin and bone.

The smoulder.





My departure time on Saturday came far too soon.  Leaving this little guy and knowing that I won't see him and hold him until Christmas was not easy.  I'm thankful that we have pictures and face time to help the distance not feel quite so great.  I'm thankful for the hours I got to spend cuddling him and making great memories with Jim and Maria.

1 comment: