Saturday, November 15, 2014

Do Not Fear

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you.  He will not leave you nor forsake you. –Deuteronomy 31:6

Fear.  It’s paralyzing.  It’s false evidence appearing real.  I’m sure I’d cringe if I knew how many times I’ve acted out of fear of any kind.  I’m afraid to speak up because what will people think?  I’m afraid of doing something wrong that sometimes it’s paralyzing and I don’t do anything at all.  I’m afraid of trusting God with my future because He’s led me into some places that have stretched me and it hasn’t been easy.  I’m afraid of expecting good things because in the past it’s set me up for some big disappointments.  I’m afraid of the persecution that God has promised will test the believer.  Will I stay true?  I’m afraid of posting my thoughts this morning because sometimes when I share I feel vulnerable and sometimes when I encourage I find that the very subject I was encouraging on becomes a challenge for me.

To all this God simply says: I am the LORD your GOD.  I go WITH you.  I will NOT LEAVE or FORSAKE you.  He tells us to be strong and of good courage and not to be afraid.  And being strong sounds frightening—I’ve tried to be strong before and push through but it doesn’t work.  So why is He telling me to be strong?  2 Corinthians 12:9.  His strength is perfect in our weakness.  Maybe putting those two verses together it would go something like this: Admit your weakness and emptiness so I can fill you.  Then be you will be full of good courage, because where I am there is not fear!  There is no reason to fear because I go with you and I. Will. Not. Leave.   

2 Timothy 1:7.  God does not give us the spirit of fear but of power.  Our power comes from Him, it is of Him, it is for Him. 

I can testify that it's so freeing to give my fears over to God, but of course because I'm human I will never perfectly grab a hold of this and I find that sometimes I lay something down before God only to pick it up again.  It’s so human nature to want to be in control but often that leads me to fear because I find out that I’m not capable of fighting the giants on my own.  And then it comes around full circle and God reminds me again that He is with me.  He is my strength.  So whether this means not speaking when I’d really like to give somebody an earful, speaking up when I’d rather remain in silence, rushing out to fight the giants, or staying behind to care for a wounded fighter, God says that He’s here for me.  And guess what?  He’ll be with you too. 

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment