Monday, November 10, 2014

Grammy's Birthday Visitors

Today Grammy and I took my mom and Aunt Kathy to the airport.  It was so much fun to have them here, but it wasn't me they came for...on Thursday Grammy had a birthday! Aunt Kathy got in Tuesday and Mom came Thursday.

On Thursday morning as I thought of how excited I was to see my mom I knew she also was excited to see her mom and having that double reunion was really fun.  We all agreed at the end of the trip that the time went so fast, not because we were always going here or there, but because just being together felt so good.

We went together to pick up Mom around 12 and since the airport is by the beach we all thought it sounded nice to go eat there and take a stroll on the pier.  It couldn't have been a more beautiful day!  First we stopped for lunch at The Kettle which is just a few blocks up from the strand.



Good food, good view, good company :)

Then we went out on the pier.  You'd think that in November it would be cool and only surfers would brave the cold water in wetsuits.  Well, not that day!  Families were there with children, people were soaking up the sun on the sand, and surfers were hanging out on their boards in swimming trunks.

Look at that sunshine!


I love my mom!


In addition to being warm, the water has also seemed quite clear this year.  We could see little fishies down below.

Missing the other sister, Aunt Heidi. 

Then there was this really cool thing I don't remember seeing before.  The sun was sparkling on the water and twinkling like those fireworks that crackle after they boom. It was more magical than the shooting star over the Disney castle in the movies. 
Although the picture doesn't capture it, it's pretty, huh?


After enjoying the sunshine and view we headed up to Altadena to get ready for a special dinner.  Since Grammy didn't feel like she needed anything for her birthday, her gift was dinner at Steakinstein, a family favorite 'special occasion' restaurant, with all of her children and the spouses that could make it.  I was graciously invited to tag along with the siblings and their spouses and it was just a really blessed evening. 

The birthday woman and Aunt Kathy

Have I mentioned that I love my mom?

Friday and Saturday mornings Mom and I went to the waterfall.

Wow, we look tired. At least Mom can blame it on jet lag.

Saturday morning Mom and I took another walk and she took me down Homewood where she grew up and told me who lived in what house.  Although I've walked by those houses multiple times, all I knew is which one she lived in.  It was fun to hear about her childhood days and how things went for her with friendships, growing older, who she's stayed in touch with, what challenges she faced as a young Christian, and other things.

Friday we lay pretty low and just enjoyed being together.  Saturday mid-morning we went to a wedding shower for my cousin.
This is Anikah, the bride-to-be's niece and Jordyn's older sister.
Wow, I look tired there too.  I promise I got sleep!

Sunday we went to church and afterwards I went to Uncle Tom and Aunt Jody's to hang out with Sauder cousins while Grammy and her children had some time together.  Then a big group of us went for dinner together at Stonefire grill and literally went out to eat cause we sat outside. Oh, the perks of living in California!

And all of the sudden Monday morning was here.  Mom and I went for an early walk this morning and instead of going to the canyon we went up some streets by Homewood where Mom used to walk and I saw the school where she went to Kindergarten through 2nd grade.  Another trip down memory lane :) We got back just in time to load up suitcases before the cleaning lady came this morning.  To stay out of her way we all went out for breakfast with Aunt Heidi, Paula and David (my cousin and her husband) then headed to the airport.  And then came the goodbyes.  Ugh.  Goodbyes.  Yet while they aren't easy and it's sad that the trip went so fast, it helps that I'm content here and know I'll see Mom and Aunt Kathy in a few weeks.

Now it's back to routine while cherishing those special memories!  Hope you all have a blessed week.

No comments:

Post a Comment