Thursday, February 12, 2015

Detoxed Baby

He smiles almost on demand and those beautiful bright eyes can melt my heart.  We giggle, we play, we sing and dance (unbelievable, right?), we take pictures and videos to send to Mommy so she can get through the day.  Being with this kid makes for some precious moments.  But...the life of a nanny isn't without messes.


After going to Haiti and eating lots of heavy foods I decided that it may be time to try a detox I saw on Pinterest.  It was Dr. Oz's detox plan and I felt like it made sense scientifically.  Self control feels good and although the smoothies in Dr Oz's plan included things like kale, celery, coconut water, and flax seeds I thought why not give it a try.  $40 later (yes, I felt guilty spending that much on food) and a whole shelf of the fridge stuffed with fresh fruit and veggies I was ready to pound it out.  The breakfast smoothie was okay but the almond butter gave it an interesting aftertaste.  The lunch smoothie was not good mainly due to the odd addition of celery; however, it was drinkable.


Calvin watched Maria and I whir together kale, celery, coconut oil, cucumber, almond milk--you get the point--and he thought it looked good.  So with permission I grabbed a baby spoon and started feeding him my smoothie because he liked it and it meant I had less to drink.


That poor baby.  I think I detoxicated him, not me.


Warning: if you're eating while reading this post, I'd suggest you read the rest later.


On with the story.  Yesterday he pooped six times, went through a pallet of diapers, 18,459 wipes, and 23 outfits.  Around the third explosion and second package of wipes I found myself wondering 'how is this possible?'


Today he slowed down as he only pooped four times, once being very mild, but we still went through the outfits as though he was my little sister changing outfits five times in a day just because it's fun.  I was beginning to feel like I was running a Chinese laundry as I soaked onesies in the bathroom sink.
I also advanced in my diaper changing skills and can now take off soiled clothes while he's standing and dancing around in order to avoid getting some poo on the changing table.


I'm hoping that he's flushed by now and tomorrow we'll get by with a few less incidents.



In closing I'll add that though I don't like to admit failure and that I'm a wimp, I'd only stomach that dinner smoothie if I was absolutely starving so the three day detox only lasted two meals for me :/  At least now I get to enjoy lots of yummy fresh veggies and fruit!


Oh, and final, final words: he's totally worth it :)

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne, I've been reading your blog and enjoy "keeping up" with your life. This story was so funny--it made me laugh! Thanks for your sharing. I appreciate your sense of humor--just thankful it didn't happen to me!!!!! Good luck with your (and Calvin's) detox!

    ReplyDelete