Sunday, February 22, 2015

Skiing!

I've only gone skiing twice.  Counting yesterday.  If you want to hear my woes of hitting the slopes as a rookie then read on.

The day started off when the McCormicks and I met the rest of my family at Bittersweet.  Mom had brought some winter wear from home for me and after trading around with my sisters, I somehow ended up with the pair of snow pants that had a mended hole in the crotch :/ This story can only get worse.

It took a while for us inexperienced Lehmans to get lift tickets and rental skis and thanks to Jim's instruction and patience, we finally were set to go.  For some reason we decided go big or go home and we hopped on the biggest lift first.  I got to the top and was wondering if I'd be snowplowing the whole way down, BUT turns out that once we got going it kind of came back from the one time I had skied which means that I still looked like a complete dork but at least I was mostly upright and hopefully my arms didn't flail too much.  After a few runs I was getting more confident but no less awkward at walking/sliding/skating in skis from one end of the park to the other as I still managed to wipe out on completely level ground just because I'm Adrienne the Graceful.  I wiped out on the slopes as well.  I even lost a ski once.

That's okay, I fit in with my siblings.

Kim the Graceful...

Maria the Graceful...






Danny the Graceful...

In case you can't tell, he's putting back the skis he plowed into.  Following him on various runs was more often than not a thrill ride.  While wiping out was usually his method of slowing down at the end, he really did a fantastic job and I was impressed.

Before we took a break for lunch we got in some fun runs.  I'm not sure which time it happened or how, nor does it really matter.  All I know is at lunch I noticed that the seem in my snow pants was ripping again and white stuffing was indiscreetly peeking out from black fabric.  Hmmm, that's not weird.  At least that's what Jim, Maria, and Kim tried to tell me (while dying with laughter) but I knew that getting back on the slopes could only mean ripping them more and more and the last thing I wanted was to go flying down a hill leaving a trail of stuffing and arriving at the bottom with the saddest pair of snow pants around.  I promptly took them off to find that they were ripping down a side seem as well.  With warning that I'd freeze if I just wore my sweats, I took a trip to the ski shop with Jim and got a nice brand new pair of snow pants that I should've bought years ago so I didn't have to borrow a family pair with holes in the crotch.  

Whew, with that problem solved I was excited to get back to skiing.  I got to spend most of the afternoon with Danny.




We sometimes rode the lift together, but sometimes we'd get in the single line which moved faster because our favorite lift takes four people so groups smaller than four grab a person from the single line to keep it moving.  Turns out that on one such ride I hopped on with three teen-age looking boys.  I noticed their skis weren't rental because they didn't have the sticker like mine did and I thought about asking them if they ski a lot.  But, being too shy to strike up conversation with strangers I decided to just keep my mouth shut.  When we got to the top their skis hit the snow with no hesitation and I wobbled off the lift in time to watch them zoom straight down the big hill, hit the ramp, twirl a 360, and keep on going.  I'd maybe gone three feet by the time they made it to the bottom of the hill.  Yep, I'm definitely a rookie.

With an hour left until we needed to meet back in the lodge, five of the six of us (lucky Danny), got on a ski lift to make it halfway up the hill before it broke.  Until this I'd been staying unusually warm for a girl with poor circulation, but being suspended 30 feet in the air for 30 minutes was a chilling experience and after that I never really warmed up which was probably a good thing because it made leaving a little easier.

We're all feeling a little bruised and sore today, yet in my opinion sore muscles are definitely a fair trade for the memories we got to make yesterday.

Now it's late and I'm off to bed cause I have the feeling a little snuggle bug will be joining me in the morning when his mother needs a little more sleep ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment