Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Story

I was listening to Alan Jackson sing 'I Love to Tell the Story' a while back, enjoying his gentle voice and the sweetness of the song.  Unfortunately like so many hymns I've sung time after time, the words to this song hadn't really sunk in.  Then on the fourth verse the lyrics really stood out to me:

I love to tell the story,
for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting
to hear it like the rest. 
And when, in scenes of glory,
I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story
that I have loved so long
.

-Katherine Hankey

It challenges me as a Christian that has been taught this story as a young child at home, church, and school.  Though I don't 'know it best', I certainly have down the story line.  Do I hunger and thirst to hear the Gospel story and be reminded of my salvation?  Does the magnitude of my Savior's love get drowned out in my daily life?  I'm afraid that at times it does.  For example...

There's an online devotional I really enjoy that just finished the book of Esther.  While in Haiti I had gotten behind on the study so to catch up I read through the book and then read through the devotionals instead of taking it one day at a time, reading the commentary as I read the book. They pointed out at the beginning that in a book where God is never mentioned, He certainly is present and they made their point very well.  After reading several entries it hit me that each one seemed to go back to Jesus redeeming us.  The quick thought raced in my mind along the lines of  'can we talk about something besides the cross? Go a little deeper maybe?' 

It didn't take long for my discouragement to turn to praise and gratitude as the Spirit reminded me that the story of the cross is the most important story.  If I was reading Esther to hear about a heroin who rescued her people, I might as well have never started.  The story, or rather the Story, in every book of the Bible, threading through each chapter--each verse!--is the Gospel Story.  While it's nice and important to find encouragement on things like difficult relationships, direction for which path to take, and admonishment for how to be a better believer, the most important thing we can ever focus on is the story of our redemption because in it there is life, love, and hope.

As we roll into the Easter season, my hope is that each of us will take a closer look at who we are, who Jesus is, and who we can be because of His sacrifice.  I hope we can hunger and thirst for a story we've heard so many times and get excited to consume the gospel like I get excited to eat my favorite chocolate cake or orange chicken.  It's a story that never changes, will never disappoint, and it is perfect.  The Story of Jesus and His love.

Colossians 1:12-23

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sincere reminder. The Story is beautiful, so full of hope. Hope: believing with the expectation of fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete